Wednesday, June 5, 2013

half marathon

When I was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis one of my best friends, Krystal, decided to run races help raise awareness and money for the MS Society.  I approached Krys about joining her in a race this year.  I was feeling well and wanted to help raise awareness and money for the MS Society for other people with this same disease who aren't able to be as active as I am.  We decided to run the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon on April 28th which was two weeks within the year anniversary of my diagnosis.  We trained for four month separately before the race and met up in DC two days before race day.

Six weeks before the race I injured a tendon in my leg.  Due to this we weren't able to run the entire thing but we did run more than we thought we would be able to.  We didn't just run; we also danced, walked, and skipped.
 
It was easier to run with all the encouragement and support from our family and friends who were cheering us on.  They all dressed in orange, rang cow bells, and made fun signs, it was so encouraging to see them waiting for us ahead.

We crossed the finish line running and with the kids.  We finished in 3:30, a little slower than we had planned but we did just what we set out to do - spend time with each other and raise money and awareness for Multiple Sclerosis.
 

We finished the day with drinks and burgers on the back deck.  I am so blessed to have such a wonderful friend!  Thankyou Krys for doing the race with me and helping raise money and awareness for the MS Society.

We had such a blast and I can't wait to run my next race!
.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment