Thursday, August 4, 2011

a trip to fargo

Tuesday, only six days after the babies were born, the town of Minot announced mandatory evacuations again due to the water level of the river.  This time, however, the water was expected to reach record highs and flooding was inevitable.  While we were still not in a mandatory evacuation zone we prepared to leave our home.  With the help of friends, Mom and Matt moved what we could up to the main level of our home over the next few days.  Between trips to see the babies we watched the predicted elevation charts to make the most educated assessment of our situation.  On Thursday, the town announced a water level four feet higher than previously expected and we chose to leave our home.  Roads were being closed between our house and the hospital and the water was already on the streets a block from our home.

While there was more that could have been done in the house, I felt a calmness come over me and I knew it was time to leave.  We packed up the last few items, gathered the dogs, and piled into the cars.  We were blocks away from the house when Matt pulled over to the side of the road.  We waited but he didn't start driving again.  I went to check on him and heard the tail end of a conversation: "Thank you Dr. Carver, we will call you back shortly."  My heart dropped; why had the babies doctor called, what was wrong?!?  Standing in the middle of the street Matt informed me the babies were being evacuated out of the NICU in Minot due to the impending flood that night and we needed to decide if we wanted them to go to Fargo or Grand Forks.  I couldn't stop the tears...I was scared, worried, and just wanted to see the babies.  Matt and Mom remained strong, came up with a plan, and we choose to send the babies to Fargo.

An hour later, after taking all the back roads, we arrived at the hospital.  Babies were being transported, parents looked concerned, nurses were running around, and Bryce and Zoey rested peacefully.  It helped me to see them but there were still so many concerns.  The transport team was about an hour away but we still didn't know if I would be able to fly with Bryce and Zoey.  We quickly got some dinner and Matt left to start the drive to Fargo while Mom stayed with me.  Nervously, we waited.

The transport team arrived with traveling incubators that looked intimidating.  There were oxygen tanks, cords, and bags of supplies everywhere.  Our peaceful little corner was quickly transformed.  Even with all the commotion I was able to relax a little as I watched the transport team, every move was precise and planned; I knew our babies were in good hands.  The nurses were very kind, informed me that I was able to join them on the flight, and even let me help move Bryce since I hadn't held him yet.

From the hospital, we took ambulances to the airport.  Each baby had their own ambulance with two nurses per baby (one of which was also a respiratory therapist).  As the babies and I left for the airport, Mom left to make the drive to Fargo.  Driving to the airport was erie...the main road through town was closed  Emergency vehicles and construction trucks were the only cars allowed on the road.  Our town was already very different than I was used to.

At the airport we boarded the smallest plane I have ever been in.  The door was just wide enough for the isolettes and it was only a little longer than the two isolettes and cockpit.  There were only seven seats in the entire plane (including the pilot spot).

We arrived in Fargo about an hour later and took another ambulance ride to Sanford hospital.  The babies and I were greeted by another team of nurses, the nurse practitioner, and the doctor.  The staff was amazing!  They transferred the babies to new isolettes, filled me in on what was going on, gave me a tour of the facility, and even did a quick procedure to put in a PIC line.  Matt arrived in Fargo shortly after we did.  He was also able to see the hospital and meet the staff that night.  Mom arrived in Fargo very early Friday morning and we all finally got a few much needed hours of sleep before we needed to be back at the hospital.

Both Bryce and Zoey did amazing with the transport and adjusting to the new hospital.  We were extremely blessed to have a wonderful transport team and staffs on both ends.
.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment