Wednesday, October 16, 2013

graduation, living in virginia, a wedding, beach vacation, and more

That title just about says it all...I am behind again!  So much has happened in the last two months since I last posted (and I was already behind then).  Hopefully I will do my best to quickly catch up so I can keep you up-to-date with all our recent adventures!

While we were in Montgomery for Matt's course we were also able to take advantage of being close to so many family and friends.  Aunt Karen came over from Atlanta a few times, Sean stopped by on his way to Georgia, we met our good friend Jackie for dinner several times, and we were able to meet up for a playdate and lunch with good friends Will, Tashina, and their girls.  It was wonderful to catch up, meet other friends kids, have friends meet our kids, and pick up right where we left off.  I feel like we got spoiled seeing so many people in two months after being so far from everyone for the last five years!!!

On July 19 we had Matt's graduation ceremony from SOS.  It was a very nice ceremony and a great way to end and celebrate the two month course in Alabama.  Overall we had a great time in Montgomery.  I am so glad we had the opportunity to go as a family and share the experience.  We left Alabama with more friends, fond memories, and as a stronger family.

The afternoon of July 19th we parted ways for the next several weeks.  The kids and I, with the help of my mom, headed to Virginia while Matt and the dogs headed back to Minot.  Matt still had about a month left in Minot.  He was able to finish some last projects on the house, put all of our things on the moving truck, and close on the house while also helping transition new people in his office and doing his final out!

While Matt was busy working, kids and I on the other hand got to play!!!  On our way to Virginia we made a three day stop was Athens to visit my grandparents.  While we were there my Aunt, cousin, and cousin-in-law also were able to come visit with the other three great grandkids!  It was the first time all five of them had been with Nana and Papa at the same time.  We had a great time of playing, playing, and well...more playing!  I am sure by the end of those few days my grandparents were excited to have their house free of toys and quiet but they sure did enjoy all the fist bumps, yard races, pretend meals, and animal noises!!!

After our weekend in Athens we drove north to Virginia.  The kids and I stayed with my parents until the end of August.  My poor parents were used to it just being the two of them and their house quickly became full - my brother was living there during the summer plus me and the kids!!!  They loved every second of it and I loved being able to be so close to both sets of parents (Matt's parents live seven minutes from my parents).  

On August 8th I headed north with my parents to Boston for Krystal and Kyle's wedding.  While I was in Boston the kids stayed in Virginia with Matt's parents and had a great time!  We arrived in Boston on Thursday and on Friday morning, before wedding festivities, we headed into the city to meet up with more great friends - Mike, Sarah, Heidi, and Oliver!  It has been five years since I have seen Mike, Sarah, and Heidi so it was wonderful to meet for breakfast and get caught up!

Friday afternoon the wedding festivities began!  I was honored to be in Krystal's wedding party and excited that I got to spend time with her during the weekend.  We have been friends since the beginning of High School and I couldn't be more happy for her and Kyle!  The wedding was perfect, the weather couldn't have been better, and the happy couple is now married!!!

The rest of August we enjoyed every minute of being in Virginia and so close to so many friends and family members.  Matt's aunt and cousin came down from Vermont, the kids helped both moms with baking, Lauren was in town for several days, I was able to meet up with many friends, we went to the national zoo, Syd's sisters came over to Woodbridge for a day, the kids went kayaking for the first time, we were able to go to Mrs. Kim's burial, we went to the Natural History Museum and the Air and Space Museum, the kids played all sorts of instruments with their  grandparents, we were able to have several playdates, we did a lot of playing in driveways and on porches....can you tell we did a lot in just six weeks of living in Virginia!!!  We had a great time, got spoiled rotten, and enjoyed being around everyone!

On August 30 we packed up the car once again to go with my parents to Edisto but we took a short stop at the Charleston airport to pick up Matt on the way!  Matt was able to spend most of the week at Edisto with us and the kids and I stayed until Friday!!!  We had a blast!  If you didn't already know, Edisto is one of...well, lets be honest...my favorite place to be!  Several of my cousins were able to come over for a few days as well as my grandparents!  In addition to the "normal" beach things...you know: kayaking, playing in the sand, feeding seagulls, drinking, etc...we also took the kids to the serpentarium and went on a dolphin watching boat ride around the island!  We had a great time visiting, soaking up the sun, recharging our batteries, and being together.

After a wonderful week at the beach the kids and I started making our way toward our new home in Louisiana.  We stopped in Athens for a day and got to spend some more time with my grandparents, Sean, Aunt Karen, and Uncle Mark.  The kids loved watching all the Georgia fans pass by my grandparents house on their way to the game and they quickly learned to say "Gooooo Dawgs! Sick-em, woof, woof, woof"!

On Sunday, September 8, Aunt Karen, myself, and the kids drove from Athens to Bossier!  We were able to make the trip in one day (thanks to Aunt Karen being with us)!!!

The new week flew by!  Monday we closed on the house and started painting the kids room, Tuesday our household goods were delivered, Wednesday Aunt Karen flew back to Atlanta and Sean stopped in Bossier for two nights, Thursday the TV was hooked up, Friday Sean left for St. Louis and Matt had his final out in Minot, Saturday Matt continued his drive toward us and I worked my way through boxes, and Sunday Matt made it to Bossier!!!  

We have now been in the house and in Louisiana for a month.  We still are working our way through boxes, meeting new friends, getting used to the weather, and learning our way around town.  Overall we are enjoying it.  Now that I am finally caught up I can't wait to start sharing our more recent adventures (like potty training!!!) and soon photos of the house!
.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment