Saturday, September 4, 2010

surgery is done

As I mentioned in the last blog...I had a laparoscopy done yesterday morning.  Overall it went well...here is how things happened:

The day before :
4:15 - Went to my pre-op appointment with Dr. Fischbach.  He talked us through the procedure, what he expected to find, what would happen from there, and the recovery.  He gave me a prescription to take that night that would open my cervix and also asked me to get magnesium citrate to clear my bowels.  After asking all the questions we could think of we dropped off the prescription and headed over to the hospital.  At the hospital we got all my lab work done and talked to admissions.  They got all my food preferences, family history, prescription, and allergies documented.  About 5:45 we went back to get the prescription and headed home.

11:00 - We headed to bed and I was prepared for a night of good sleep.  However, I didn't sleep a whole lot.  I kept waking up to check the clock and the medication gave me cramps.  I slept for about two hour sections...in between the sleeping I took a shower, straightened the bathroom, did my hair, and stared at the ceiling.  I was ready to get up when the alarm went off in the morning.

Day of: 
8:00 - We went to the hospital.  Once we got there we checked in downstairs and headed up to my room on the third floor.  It was a four person room but I was only sharing it with one other person at that time.  I got changed into my very fashionable hospital gown, robe, and teal socks!  The anesthesiologist came in to see if I had any questions and talk me through that part of the surgery.  Several different nurses proceeded him to get my vitals, make sure I was ok, and hook me up to a machine that kept the blood flowing in my legs.

9:20 - They came to take me to the pre-op room.  Matt rode down in the elevator with me but that is where we parted ways.  He went to the waiting room and I went to the pre-op room.  The room was large with lots of different beds and a desk in the center.  The guy who took me to the room, Matt, got me ready for the nurses.  The anesthesiologist stopped by and the nurses introduced themselves.  Sarah was the nurse with me most of the day.  She and another nurse prepped me: they hooked up the monitors, put in my IV, and gave me the "happy drugs".  Apparently the first dose didn't make me sleepy enough so they gave me another.    I don't remember much after that....just some big lights, a few different people walking around, a green mask, and a door....those of course were all intermingled.

11:30ish - I woke up in the post-op room.  This room is the same as the pre-op room.  Sarah was there when I woke up and told me what was going on.  She gave me some ice chips for my sore throat and pain meds.  Dr. Fishbach came by and let me know that it wasn't endometrosis!  Instead I have a large fibroid that he wasn't able to remove at that time but he would give me all the details when I had my appointment on Thursday.  He also gave me a picture...I will share it with you when I know what everything is.  After making sure my pain was under control and all my vitals were good, Sarah took me down to my recovery room.

12:45 - I got back to the recovery room where Matt was waiting for me.  He had a little bag of treats for me and a really cute card!  Patty, another nurse, came in with water and to check on me.  She went over what was required of me before I could go home...drink water, walk, manage my pain, and go to the restroom.  She also offered me some lunch.  Matt had asked before I got to the room if they had any tomato soup so an order was on the way.  I drank two glasses of water, ate half the soup, and a few saltines.  After a little while I was able to walk and go to the restroom so Matt went to fill my prescription and we got ready to go home.

3:00 - We got back to the house and the dogs were very excited to see us.  I went upstairs and fell back asleep. 

5:15 - I woke up from my nap and came downstairs to sit.  Abbey came over about 5:30 and brought us dinner...we had pork chops, mac&cheese, and green beans.  She also brought ice cream and a trashy magazine!  Even though I couldn't eat much, dinner was wonderful! 

6:30 - Nap again

7:45 - I woke up and went downstairs for a little while.  I ate more dinner, read, checked the computer, and hung out.  I was a little surprised by how swollen my stomach was!  I didn't expect that...check it out:
 

10:30 - Bed time.  I slept pretty well.  I had to wake up a few times to go to the restroom and Matt was wonderful about helping me get into and out of bed. 

Today:
I slept until about 10:30 this morning.  Matt again, offered to help me sit up but I was able to do it by myself.  We removed my bandages and Matt helped me get a shower.  It went well...I just couldn't reach very far so Matt had to hand me everything!  I took another nap after the shower.  After the nap and this afternoon Matt has been taking good care of me.  I got some lunch, have been working on some things for the spouse's group, reading, and we even went on a walk.  Overall I am feeling well...just a little tired and a little sore.  I will share more information after my appointment on Thursday!
.katherine.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, glad to know you are resting and being taken care of so well. Now at least you know what it is and what it isnt! Hang in there, keep resting and know we all send lots of love.
    xoxo, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete