Thursday, July 8, 2010

an emergency room visit

First off...I am fine, no need to worry...just wanted to share what happened. 

Everything started on Monday afternoon...I was having a little bit of cramping but all females do during their cycle so I didn't think anything of it!  About 8:30 I realized something wasn't right, I was in extreme amounts of pain and bleeding way too much to be "normal."  I called the base on-call doctor and asked him "if I was your daughter, what would you do?"  After laughing at me, he told me to go to the emergency room.  Matt and I got to the ER about 10 and went straight back to a room.  It took about an hour and a half before the doctors were able to give me pain meds and start running tests.  They had done blood work...it came back normal and I was not pregnant (even though I had told them I wasn't).  The doctors did an exam and an ultrasound....they found a small fibroid and a thick endometrium lining...nothing abnormal.  They sent me home about 1:30 with pain medication and told me to follow up with my doctors. 

On Tuesday Matt was scheduled to go on alert.  He woke me up before he left and I felt fine...no pain so no reason to keep him home.  After waking up a few hours later, I took a shower and started to get some cramping again so I took one of the pain medications and tried to take a nap.  Two hours, two pain medications, and a call to Mom behind me, I called Abbey to take me to the ER.  Abbey was a lot of help...she took me to the ER, called Matt at site while I got processed in, and sat with me even though she had Henrik!  The doctors came in quickly and followed up from the day before.  First things first though...I had to get an IV for the medication.  Since my large vein was used the day before and the next best one had just been used to take blood we moved on to the hand.  After trying the right side and the veins not working with us, the nurse was able to get it on the left side...I must say, hand IVs hurt more than an arm one!  Abbey was great...she let me squeeze her hand while they put it in...even while she was holding Henrik!  The doctor ran more tests and did a CT scan.  When I returned from the scan Jackie was there to take over for Abbey...it was best to get Henrik out of the ER so he didn't get sick.  The doctors returned with the test results...nothing...my appendix is fine, nothing is wrong with my ovaries, etc.  His diagnosis...endometrosis.  He suggested that I talk to my doctor about getting a laproscopy done.  They sent me home with more pain meds and told me that if it did get worse to return again.  Jackie made sure I had dinner at home and took the dogs for the evening so I could sleep.

Wednesday I woke up feeling better and headed off to the first of two doctor's appointments of the week.  Maj Smith was great...we talked about the ER trip and her suggestions.  She told me that the fibroid is too small to worry about.  She did suggest the laproscopy based on my history of endometrosis.  I left the appointment feeling confident about the information but we will see what Dr. Brown says on Friday.  The rest of the day I spent taking a nap and hanging out with Matt.   Most of the pain is gone...I am just tired.   

Overall I am doing well.  I am a little bummed that the Lupron may not have fully worked but staying upbeat about the next steps.  I will keep everyone updated about my appointment on Friday and where we go from here.  There is no need to worry...I have great doctors here and Matt is taking great care of me.   

.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment