Tuesday, June 15, 2010

family

We have decided that we will start with the beginning...our families.  Our families are very important to us and we wouldn't be the people we are today without their love, support, and of course...genes. 


 
As you can see...there are five of us in the Kerr family!  We are an Army family and moved almost every two years!  We lived all over the United States and traveled often.  Mom and Dad have retired, after 21 years devoted to the Army, in Virginia where Dad still works for the government and Mom has moved on from children raising and is now a quilt appraiser, lecturer, and teacher.  I am the oldest, yet shortest, of the kids.  There are eighteen months between myself and Sean (center).  He graduated from Anderson University in May and is currently serving in Africa with Mercy Ships.  Ryan (left) is the baby of the family.  He is going to school at the University of Pittsburgh and is a certified Paramedic.  We are all very close and they have always been very supportive with every thing I do (and try to do)! 

Not only do I have a wonderful immediate family....I have an amazing extended family. 
My mom is one of three girls and my dad is one of seven kids!
So that is two parents, two brothers, four grandparents, nine aunts and uncles, twenty-two cousins, two cousin-in-laws, and two cousins-once-removed!  Everyone is spread across the United States but the Grandparents are all in Athens, Georgia.  It is never dull when we get together and I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family!
.katherine. 


My family is a little bit smaller, but every bit as important to our story.  My mom and dad have been married for 27 years.  My dad is a retired Air Force Colonel who spent most of his 28 years serving our country as a pilot.  My mom is a mother extraordinaire, a devoted (albeit retired) Air Force wife and currently works in an antique shop in Occoquan.  My sister, Lauren is 5 years younger than I am and is currently a student at Virginia Tech.  My family has followed my father and his career to bases in Georgia, Virginia, England and even South Korea.  We have always been a very close family, and hopefully this blog will help us remain up to date on all of our various endeavors.

My father is one of three children.  His two sisters and their husbands live in southern Virginia.  My mom is also one of three children.  Her brother and sister live in their hometown of Barre, VT.  I have seven cousins in all.  Until recently the entirety of my extended family lived in Barre with the exception of my mom's brother who lived an hour or two away.  This has helped my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and I stay close over the years, even when we lived so far away.
I love my family very much and I miss them all.  They are the reason I am the man I am today, they offer me love and support every day and good or bad, they show Katherine what I will someday become.  Something about Minot having a harsh winter has kept the family at bay thus far, but my parents are going to visit us this fall.  We cannot wait to show them all that Minot has to offer and all the hard work we have done on our house this past year, but that is another story...
.matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment