Thursday, December 18, 2014

christmas pageant

It is that time of year - the time for every parent to share photos and videos of their children singing off-key Christmas songs along side their classmates.  Last week Bryce and Zoey's school put on "The Christmas Story," the story of Jesus' birth.  The school is both a preschool and mothers day out and all the children participated!  Bryce and Zoey's class and other three year old classes did two songs, "Christmas Tells of Jesus" and "Jesus was a Special Baby" and then joined with the entire school at the end to sing "I am Happy, Happy, Happy at Christmas" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."  It was an adorable production of the Christmas story!

During Bryce and Zoey's pageant I desperately wanted to get videos and photos for the grandparents and Matt who were all unable to attend.  However, the kids didn't stand next to each other, parents kept jumping in front of me, and the kids never looked in my direction.  After capturing the same lady's head about 15 times I stopped trying!  It was ok!  Yes, I would have loved to capture that amazing photo to share with the family but that wasn't what this day was about.  My kids were singing their hearts out, sharing joy with everyone in attendance, and loving every minute of being on stage.  Instead of getting upset I put my camera down, sat back, and enjoyed watching my kids, this was a one time moment.

These pageants are about so much more than the parents and those of us watching.  It is about the children.  It is a way for them to share the holiday spirit, the birth of Jesus Christ, and their joy.  They get to show off and enjoy singing with their friends.  It really is ok that the little four year old who was playing Mary was picking her nose, or the little guy ringing the bells did his at the wrong time, or that the two year old would only sit instead of stand with his class during his songs.  These pageants are an amazing way for children to learn the real meaning of Christmas and spread the holiday cheer with everyone around them!

After the pageant, Bryce and Zoey were so proud of themselves and their school.  The moment I saw them afterward they asked "Did you see me mommy?  I do a good job?"  They didn't stop talking about their songs for days nor did I want them to.  No, I didn't get a great photograph of either child during their pageant nor did I get a great video.  However, no photograph or video will replace they joy my children had while singing and being a part of their pageant or come close to living up to that excitement that I was able to share with my children.  I will take the memories over a good photograph any day!

.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment