Thursday, February 7, 2013

challenge quilt

My mom is doing a new quilt challenge and I decided to participate.  (You can find out more on her website: www.marywkerr.com)

The challenge is "Dare to Dance: An Artist's Interpretation of Joy".  I titled my quilt "I have family" and am really pleased with how it turned out.  Below are the quilt and my statement about the quilt.  Enjoy!!!


Artist's Statement:

My definition of joy is my family.  They inspire me, make me laugh, and fill my heart with infinite happiness.  My quilt, “I have family,” was created to pay tribute to fact that no matter what we go through we will live each day to the fullest and we always have each other.   
Over the last two years we have been faced with many obstacles.  On June 15, 2011 I gave birth to twins thirteen weeks prematurely, on June 26, 2011 our town and home were flooded, and on April 12, 2012 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis!  Through it all we have stuck together, taken each situation as it arose, and remained joyful.  We have each other, our health, and a strong support system; what more could we ask for?
Most of the material used in this quilt comes from those three events: maternity shirts, preemie clothes, baby blankets, MS walk shirts, flood support shirts, and even jeans I wore when rebuilding our home.  I also included all the important numbers in the quilting around the edges.  It is wonderful to see all of this is a creative work of art and know that we made it through all of those challenges together.

.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment