Friday, May 13, 2011

starting maternity leave

First things first, both babies and I are doing well.  The short version of this post is that I started my maternity leave but for the details you can read on... 

On the morning of the 29th while I was getting ready for work, I almost passed out twice.  I ended up calling into work and heading back to bed for the morning.  When my doctor's office opened I talked to Dr. Bozeman's nurse.  She talked to Dr. Bozeman who said to take it easy during the weekend, drink plenty of fluids, no extra activities, and call back Monday to let them know how it went.  Most of the weekend I was weak, dizzy, and exhausted.  Matt took great care of me and made me sleep most of the time. 

On Monday I went to work but had to take things slowly.  When the doctor's office opened I gave them a call, I knew my doctor was out on Mondays but I still wanted to call since I still wasn't feeling well.  The nurse said that if work would be OK without me to go home, continue to take it easy, and come in the next day to see my doctor.  I did just that...went home and slept most of the day.

On Tuesday, I went to see Dr. Bozeman and overall the appointment went well.  Dr. Bozeman went over my ultrasound saying he was happy with the development and everything looked great.  He also took a quick look at both babies, got both heartbeats, and measured my uterus (28 weeks!).  He said there wasn't one specific reason for me to be getting weak and dizzy except the pregnancy.  He recommended that I stop working and make sure to get lots of rest.  He also wants to start seeing me every two weeks now.  Dr. Bozeman also said I was still fine to take our planned trip to Rapid City.  It seems like my body just needs more rest and is having a difficult time keeping up with everything plus carrying two babies! 

After seeing Dr. Bozeman I went to let the girls I work with know what was going on and start my FMLA paperwork (which starts my maternity leave).  Everyone was very understanding and said that when I have my appointments I will have to come say hi.

It was great to hear from the doctor that everything is looking good but I was hoping to work for a little longer.  This is, however, much better than being on bedrest until the babies get here so I won't complain.  I am taking it easy, getting projects worked on, and getting the extra sleep I need.  I have still been a little weak and dizzy but it doesn't happen too often or as badly as before.  It is nice to be able to just lay down when it happens and not have to worry about any obligations.  I will continue learning how to relax and do things slowly!
.katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment